Gujarat Ayurved University
Updated on: Apr 16, 2013
Gujarat Ayurved University was established in 1967 by an act passed by Gujarat State legislative Assembly in 1965. It is the only statutory University of its kind both at national and international level - exclusively devoted to Ayurvedic studies and Research.
The University is a member of The Association of Indian Universities (AIU). GAU is recognized but not funded by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
This University is administratively linked to Ministry of Health and Family Welfare both at State and Centre -indicating its special status.
This setup of University continued till 1998. Since then few more Institutes and Centers were opened to broad base the training programmes of Ayurveda.
At present following Institutes and Centers are working in the Campus of Gujarat Ayurveda University, Jamnagar as constituent Institutes: -
1) Institute for Post Graduate Teaching & Research In Ayurveda
2) Shri Gulabkunwarba Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya , Jamnagar
3) Institute for Ayurvedic Pharmaceutical Sciences
4) Maharishi Patanjali Institute for Yoga & Naturopathy Education and Research.
To promote the teaching and learning in various other specific areas of Ayurved University has also established following centers in campus: -
1) International Center for Ayurvedic Studies
2) Maharishi Atreya AIDS & Cancer Research Center
All other Ayurvedic Colleges of the state are the affiliated colleges of Gujarat Ayurveda University. They are as follows:
1) Government Akhandananda Ayurveda College, Ahmedabad
2) Government Ayurveda College, Vadodara
3) Aryakanya Ayurveda College, Vadodara
4) Sheth J. P. Ayurveda College, Bhavnagar
5) Government Ayurveda College, Junagadh
6) Shri Balahanuman Ayurveda College, Lodra
7) Shri J. S. Ayurveda College, Nadiad
8) Shri O. H. Nazar Ayurveda College, Surat
For further information related to GAU Jamanagar, click on the links provided below: